Frequently Asked Questions

I live outside of the United States. How do I take English as a Second Language classes at Fullerton College?

All international students who would like to study at Fullerton College on the F-1/F-2 visa must apply through the International Student Center.

Do I need to have TOEFL or IELTS scores to attend Fullerton College?

International students (F-1/F-2 visa) should contact the International Student Center for specific Proof of English Proficiency requirements.

Most students already in the United States don’t need TOEFL or IELTS scores to apply to the ESL program at Fullerton College. Once they apply to Fullerton College, they must take the ESL Assessment Test to help determine their appropriate English level placement. They will also meet with a counselor to discuss final placement.

Students coming from another college and having previously completed an ESL class should schedule an appointment with a Fullerton College Counselor to determine if they will need to take an Assessment Test at Fullerton College.

Click here to start your application.

How much does it cost to take ESL classes?

Fees at Fullerton College, as with other California Community Colleges, is $46 per unit. ESL classes range from 2 to 5 units. Many students qualify for Financial Aid and the fee waiver.

You can use the calculator available on the Fullerton College website to estimate your total cost of attendance. Non-resident tuition applies to international students (F-1/F-2 visa) and non-California residents.

More information about admission and registration for Fullerton College is available on the Admissions and Records Office website.

If you’re an international student, please visit the International Student Center website.

Click here to start your application.

I have a U.S. permanent resident (green card) visa. Do I still have to pay for non-resident tuition?

Non-citizen students holding a permanent resident (green card) visa must have legal residence in California for a minimum of 12 consecutive months preceding the day before the first day of the semester. So if you’ve been in California for at least a year by the start of the semester you’re applying in, you are considered a California resident.

Click here to start your application.

When are ESL classes scheduled?

During the fall (September – December) and spring (February – May) semesters, classes are generally scheduled twice a week, either Mondays/Wednesdays (MW) or Tuesdays/Thursdays (TR), with classes in the morning, afternoon, and even at night. Night classes generally start at 7:00 pm. Friday only classes are also offered. We also have short term classes that start halfway through the semester. Some classes are offered during the summer semester (June – August).

The college publishes a schedule of classes for each semester. Click here to see the current class schedule (select ESL from the subject list).

What is the difference between English as a Second Language (ESL) classes and English (ENGL) classes at Fullerton College?

Some students have trouble deciding whether they should enroll in ESL or English courses. Students who have lived in the United States for many years and speak English well may still have trouble with their writing and grammar. Students who are new to the United States may have studied English for many years in their home country but still struggle with speaking, listening, and pronunciation. ESL classes can help both of these kinds of students.

Some things to consider when deciding whether to take English or ESL classes include:

Student success: At Fullerton College, students who take ESL courses are more successful in college writing (English 100) than students who begin in English courses. 86% of students who began in ESL courses passed English 100 while 71% of students who began in English courses passed English 100*. ESL coursework prepares non-native English students for the type of work they will be required to complete in their higher level English classes.

*Student success data between Fall 2013 and Fall 2016

Classes: ESL classes focus on the special needs of language learners in writing, reading, vocabulary, pronunciation, grammar, listening and speaking. Like in English classes, critical thinking skills are also taught. Many ESL classroom topics are chosen for their relevance to students from a variety of cultures. All ESL classes are designed to ensure student success when they advance to English classes.

Instructors: ESL teachers have advanced degrees in linguistics, language acquisition, and/or second language teaching that include training in bilingualism, cross cultural issues, grammar, composition, listening, speaking, and reading skills instruction. Most ESL teachers have taught overseas and studied foreign languages. This specialized training and experience has prepared ESL teachers to address the needs of students who are learning English and to understand the challenges that they face.

Click here to start your application.

What is the difference between ESL classes at Fullerton College and ESL classes at the School of Continuing Education (Anaheim Campus and Wilshire Center)?

ESL classes at Fullerton College focus on students’ academic success. Students at the intermediate level or higher will be successful in ESL classes at the college. Both core courses that emphasize reading and writing (ESL 76, 78, 83, 184, 185, 186, and 190) and support courses that emphasize grammar, vocabulary, speaking and listening, and pronunciation are designed to support the demands that students face in their college classes. Many Fullerton College ESL students plan to transfer to a four-year college or receive a degree or certificate.

ESL classes at the School of Continuing Education focus primarily on improving students’ English skills for day to day life in the United States. Conversation, workplace English, and life skills are emphasized in these courses. However, the School of Continuing Education also provides a path to study academic English. Many beginning English students find it beneficial to study at the School of Continuing Education for one or two years before transferring to Fullerton College to continue their English studies.

Click here to start your application.