ESL Student Resources
Places on campus to improve your ESL skills
Skills Center (Room 801)
The Skills Center’s mission is to assist students in improving their academic skills through self-paced work with computer programs, print, audio, video, and Internet-based materials.
The Skills Center:
- supports reading, ESL, and foreign language courses
- provides self-paced learning materials for all students
- helps students improve learning strategies, critical thinking, writing, etc.
- administers make-up exams for all Fullerton College courses
ESL Core Courses 82, 83, 184, and 190 require one hour of arranged lab attendance at the Skills Center every week of the semester.
Writing Center (Room 808)
The Writing Center’s mission is to promote students’ success and independence as writers in college and beyond. We also strive to provide an environment that is conducive to writing and learning and to serve as a model for peer interaction. We help writers make their own choices about a text rather than “fixing” papers for them. We don’t write on students’ papers; we counsel students about the choices they have as writers.
ESL Conversation Leaders: FC Library staff provide support in conversational English for all ESL students at any level of English proficiency. This resource is especially helpful for Listening and Speaking, Pronunciation, and Vocabulary courses.
Appointments (scheduling, changing, cancelling): (714) 992-7153
Feedback about services or questions about becoming a tutor:
Fullerton College Library (Bldg. 800)
- To provide a collection of materials which supports the curriculum and the information needs of the campus community and which reflects the diversity of the population we serve.
- To provide complete and accurate access to the collection as well as access to materials beyond the library walls.
- To provide appropriate instruction to patrons in the use of library materials and library technology.
The library strives to attain these goals by providing a varied library instruction program, including individualized instruction at the reference desk, library instruction sessions, and research consultations.
Reference Desk for research assistance during library hours: (714)732-5694 or (714)992-7039, option 5.
Circulation Counter for assistance with borrowing items, renewals, fines, overdues, blocks on student accounts, reserve books: (714)992-7039, option 4.
Microsoft Office 365
Fullerton College provides access to Office 365, a web based service that provides a feature-rich set of tools for collaboration using Microsoft cloud-based products like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneDrive, SharePoint and cloud based email. Thru our licensing agreement with Microsoft, currently enrolled students and employees can also download and install Microsoft Office Pro Plus, providing you with the latest Office applications on your home computer and mobile devices.
Go to http://o365.fullcoll.edu for more information.
Websites to help you learn English
- Common Grammar Mistakes – Englishplus.com
- Grammar – Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL)
- Grammar Exercises – Centre for Independent Language Learning (CILL)
- Grammar Videos and Exercises – Grammar Bytes
- Grammar Book
- Punctuation Rules – Englishplus.com
- MLA Formatting Style and Guide – Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL)
- Writing Activities – EnglishZone.com
- Writing Guide and Activities – Centre for Independent Language Learning (CILL)
- Breaking News English
- Reading Guide and Activities – Centre for Independent Language Learning (CILL)
- The New York Times – Learning Network
- Voice of America – Learning English
- Dictionary – Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
- Dictionary – Merriam Webster’s Learners Dictionary
- Easy Everyday English
- English Idioms and Idiomatic Expressions – UsingEnglish.com
- Idiom Connection
- Quizlet – Create Vocabulary Cards
- Spelling Activities – EnglishZone.com
- Spelling Games – ManyThings.org
- Vocabulary Guide and Activities – Centre for Independent Language Learning (CILL)
- BBC Learning English
- English with Jennifer
- ESL Conversations – ESLFast.com
- Listening Guide and Activities – Centre for Independent Language Learning (CILL)
- Pronunciation Guide – Centre for Independent Language Learning (CILL)
- Voice of America Learning English
Links to these third-party websites are provided for convenience only. The Fullerton College ESL Department does not endorse the content of third-party sites. We are not responsible for the content of a third-party website. By clicking on a third-party link, you will leave the Fullerton College ESL website.
FREE IMMIGRATION LEGAL SERVICES
Students enrolled in any California Community College, including Fullerton College, can access FREE immigration legal support from trusted direct service organizations.
Find your ally today: https://findyourally.com